Do I really need to have my carpets professionally cleaned?
The short answer is yes. Taking care of spills and stains by spot cleaning is a great way to help prevent permanent stains and fiber damage. However, professional carpet cleaning gets the deep-down dirt and grime that hides in those fibers.
What are signs that I need to get my carpet professionally cleaned?
- Dirt – Visible dirt, spots, and recurring stains are a sign you need to get your carpet professionally cleaned.
- Smell – Should you happen to notice an odor coming from the carpet or you have started spraying fabric refreshing spray on the carpet and furniture because you have noticed an odor, it’s time to get a cleaning.
- Feel – If your carpet does not feel as soft or cushiony as it used to, dirt trapped in the fibers may be the culprit. A professional cleaning will alleviate the issue.
- Pests – Perhaps you may be noticing an uptick of spiders or other creepy crawlers? Check your carpet. Pests love to hang out in dirty carpet.
- Mold or mildew – Are you seeing mold or mildew forming on your carpet? Then it is time to call a professional. Mold and mildew can not only damage your carpet, but they can cause health problems as well.
- Allergies – Carpet fibers hold dirt, dander, pollen, dust mites and other allergens. These trapped allergens may trigger increased allergy and asthma symptoms.
- Foot traffic patterns – Most carpeted areas have a pattern where heavy foot traffic happens, whether it is in front of the couch, between the living room and the kitchen or alongside the bed. Once you can see the heavy traffic patterns on your carpet, that’s a sign you need to get your carpet professionally cleaned.
Why can’t I just DIY my carpet cleaning?
You can but professional carpet cleaning equipment is much more powerful than DIY equipment. Your carpets will come cleaner, dry quicker and look better with professional carpet cleaning equipment, techniques, and technicians.
Carpet, like anything else in your home, needs to be maintained. Vacuuming, treating spills promptly and regular professional cleaning will protect your investment and keep your carpets looking beautiful for years to come.
By Sharon Koehler. This article is one of a series of articles written and published on behalf of Surface Care PRO Partners.